Our high-quality education in English will teach pupils to speak, read and write fluently so that they can communicate their ideas and emotions to others. We believe that the skills of language are essential to participating fully as a member of society; our pupils, therefore, will not be disenfranchised because they do not learn to speak, read and write fluently and confidently. English underpins our vision for all other achievement. Through reading in particular, our pupils will develop culturally, emotionally, intellectually, socially and spiritually. We believe literature plays a key role in such development. Through Reading pupils will be able to utilise ideas in their writing. Our English curriculum builds from Reading into writing.
At Hamsterley Primary our English curriculum aims to ensure that all pupils:
- develop fluency in reading and with good understanding
- develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
- acquire a wide vocabulary and an understanding of grammar
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas and participate in debate.